Ice Rescue Training Day
Orillia - February 21, 2003
© Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs
Be prepared to go through the ice - Pack the right gear
This would include:
- A buoyant snowmobile suit such as the
Ice Rider suit by
Mustang Survival Gear
- A set of IcEscape ice picks
- An emergency throw bag
or buoyant heaving line of 50' in length
- A survival whistle
- A fire starter kit
If you do break through the ice don't panic
- Be prepared for the "gasp" reflex . . .
- Kick vigorously into a horizontal position and swim to the
nearest ice edge.
- Place hands and arms on unbroken ice while kicking hard to
propel your body onto the ice, like a seal.
- Once clear, stay flat and roll away to stronger ice.
- Stand, keep moving and find shelter fast.